Translate

Search This Blog

18 October 2020

Hoya stalking pays off

This one was labelled H. wayetii taken 22 Aug 2020:


I think that was mislabelled and is actually H. kentiana. Notice anything wrong with it? More on that later. 

First I planted it in pumice and it was the first one to push out new leaves. Then it stopped growing. I inspected the roots and that didn't work out very well. They were entangled in moss so I coudn't really see. Decided to change the medium to leca because the moss in pumice thing looked too soggy for me. Fertilized every watering with orchid fertilizer. Everything else was growing gangbusters except for this one. The leaves were closed and the new ones were just there not doing anything. All the leaves started looking like this:
WTF ei? If they look dehydrated then they're not getting water. 

After much staring, I realized the plants were upside down. Notice the earlier picture where the leaves are pointing up, not down. So I dunked the other end in water to see what happens: 

After 3 days I had this:

Don't be jealous if I had roots in just three days. I'm in the tropics. It's one of the perks. So here it is today, leaves are open. It has some catching up to do: 
So the key takeaway is, rooted plants are unidirectional. You can't just root it any which way. Pay attention to your plants people. They tell you what's going on if you stare at them long enough. 

2 comments:

  1. i don't get it. Did you cut it off? What happened to the other end that was potted up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I dug it out, flipped it and rooted the correct end.

      Delete